Saturday, March 27, 2010

End Statue

Today I also modeled the statue found at the end of the dungeon. You need to put a jewel in its forehead to finish the game.

HorseHead Is Waiting

I made new curtains. My first model of the curtains was made with the Maya cloth physics and looked amazing, but didn't fit well with the style of the game. The new curtains are much more simple and look almost identical to the game sprites.

Also Horsehead is waiting for you 'o'

Thursday, March 25, 2010


For a long time I wasn't sure what the elevators should look like in 3D. I even went so far as to look at the Zelda TV show to find an interpretation. In the show, all they did was make the elevators round featureless pads that move up and down. This is probably what they are supposed to look like judging by the original game sprite, but I decided to make them square instead.

In the end, I think I overdid it a bit. They now look like some sort of steam punk/art deco design that belongs in a game like BioShock, but I like it anyway. The gears will look cool rotating when it moves up and down.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Animating Horsehead

Finished animating Horsehead (the final boss). His walk cycle is the same as the Ironknukle.

Next is programming his AI.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Early Beta

Today I connected all my scenes together and played through the game for the first time! All I can say is the game is really a mess at this point. If I kill the spiders the game crashes. The candle doesn't work. Nothing in the desert area can hurt you. And I still have to make the final boss. So, there is a lot to do, but I am hopeful.

Sunday, March 14, 2010


I'm setting up the statues that go in the entrance to the dungeon. In the original game there is only one, but who's to say there aren't two statues parallel to each other? Having two just works better in 3D. I'm also adding a script that will make the statues fall apart when you hit them. I know this is an abuse of the physics engine but it just looks so darn cool.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Blobs Revamped

I redid the blob enemies. I've added more animation to them and new AI.

The old blobs were the very first enemy AI I ever programmed. Back then I had no idea where to start, and as a result I had some bugs in the AI script. Also the blobs didn't have animation and were stiff looking. The only thing that was good about the old blobs was their behavior was a lot more like the original Zelda blobs. I spent a lot of time tweaking the subtle movements they made and ended up with an almost identical enemy. But alas, they had to go. For some reason they kept teleporting and doing odd things. And my jumbled mess of code that controlled them was too difficult to look through to find a solution. Now that I think about it, I think I know how to fix the teleporting, but it's too late now. I've revamped them and added a whole new oozing particle system. I am very happy with how they turned out.

It Begins

This is my first post on this new blog. I had an old one, but I prefer the layout of this one better. So here is where I'll write about the last few stages of my Zelda II FPS project. I've been working on this since 2009, and I believe it's finally heading towards completion.

This is a project I'm making mostly for myself. I want to play this game, so that's why I'm making it. If someone else made it, that would be fine by me. I think I first got the idea to make an NES game into an FPS when I modeled and animated Ridley from the Metroid games. I got some great feedback from people on the Unity forums and was inspired to make more. I was planning on making a few games like Megaman, Mario and Contra into FPS's. I might still do that, but for now I want to get this Zelda one done.

This is mostly going to be a picture blog since I'm not much of a writer. But I hope people enjoy seeing the hardships I went through trying to make this game a reality. Here's hoping it turns out.